Infection Prevention Tips for Social Gatherings & Holidays
|Nov 18 - Jan 01, 2021|
Although parties are not recommended, as we approach the holidays, people will want to gather with family, especially during these challenging times. Here are some helpful tips to gather as safely as possible:
- Remind guests to stay home if they are sick.
- Host your gathering outdoors, when possible. If this is not feasible, make sure the room is well-ventilated (i.e. open a window).
- Arrange tables/chairs to allow for social distancing. People from the same household can be in groups together and don’t need to be 6 feet apart—just 6 feet away from other families.
- When guests arrive, minimize gestures that promote close contact. For example, don’t shake hands, no elbow bumps, and don’t give hugs. Instead wave and verbally greet them.
- Wear masks when less than 6 feet apart from people or indoors.
- Clean your hands for at least 20 seconds when entering and exiting social gatherings. If soap and water are not available, use hand sanitizer containing at least 60% alcohol. Place hand sanitizer at the doorway to serve as a reminder to guests.
- Remind guests to wash their hands before serving or eating food.
- Use paper towels for drying hands so guests don’t share a towel.
- Encourage guests to bring their own food and drinks.
- Limit people going in and out of areas where food is being prepared or handled, such as the kitchen/grill, if possible.
- Consider identifying one person to serve all food so that multiple people are not handling the serving utensils.
- Use single-use options or identify one person to serve sharable items, like salad dressings, food containers, and condiments, so that multiple people are not handling the items.
- Limit contact with commonly touched surfaces or shared items: use touchless garbage cans and use gloves when removing garbage (wash hands after removing gloves).
- Clean and disinfect commonly touched surfaces and any shared items between use.
- If you choose to use shared items that are reusable (i.e. seat covers, tablecloths, linen napkins), wash, clean and sanitize them after the event.
Have a happy, healthy holiday season!
Event Starts: 9:00 AM
Event Ends: 12:00 AM